Friday 24 August 2012

England team donate to my friend

Thanks to Rooney, Carroll and the England team with their goals scored during the 2012 world cup, my friend is a benefactor of their efforts.  How does this work you may ask, what are you on about?

Well let me shed some light, after a recent purchase of goods from a national chain they ran a promotion where they would send you £10 for every goal scored during the world cup.  Due to our goal scoring record we, therefore, received a cheque for £50.  I have to admit I was quite negative about this said offer, whether the money would ever materialise and whether we followed the conditions correctly.  Happily we did everything correctly and after a delay on their part we received a cheque.

After banking this cheque I realised we had never counted on this money turning up and thought what would could spend it on, after all money does not grow on trees - well okay it does really, sort of.  We are not exactly in a great financial position ourselves but I could not help feeling a little bit charitable after recently reading a book.  This book highlighted how a very successful Microsoft employee left the realms of business to work with under privileged countries and their fight to educate their children.  I was completely taken in by his journey, he (John Wood) is a man of true honour, he finally set up a charity and worked around many countries to donate books to the help the kids.  Anyway its a great charity, education should not be privilege, so check it out www.roomtoread.org.

So, with my charitable thinking musing through my head I remembered a conversation with my wife about a friend of ours who was really suffering hardship, far worse than ours would ever be and a person in distress for other reasons.  I spoke to her about somehow using this money to buy her clothes, but she was in a country a long way from us and my wife came up with the solution, a gift voucher from a store in their country that sells clothes at very keen prices (along with lots of other useful items).  So today the voucher has been paid for, we are £50 ish lighter (after currency charges) and waiting to hear from our friend.  I may not donate to many charities, but I can say with true valour I have donated to charities I feel are important to mankind (like cancer research) and not just a select few.

I hope our friend uses the voucher wisely and spends it on their self, time will tell, charity gives you a warm feeling inside, so please give generously when you need to, its your job a rational human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment