Tuesday 13 May 2014

repercussion of life

It's been too long my friend, my love of the written word has been compromised by duty.  Duty i never entailed, never planned or thought about.

I refer to my recent experience in the world of educating secondary school children.  Over the past 4 months I have become involved in the classroom for business studies due to my current knowledge and education.  I now recall voluntary suggesting I would help, to become part of a team with a just and good cause - get students through their BTEC course.  If there is ever one cause i fall for, it is education, I believe in it with my full sincerity.  Education will help in life, with decision, with understanding and provide options - you have to pay back with hard work, something I've seen quickly disappear with our current youth.

During February my role started with learning what was needed to do, then learning what the head of the team wanted and then how to get the students to actually work.  This was a massive contest, not one for the faint hearted, that's for sure.  We are now in May and time certainly pays dividends.  I have seen the interest levels dip to the point of not working and students becoming bored, stressed by workloads and unpredictable behaviour.

Oh wait i forgot now I'm helping with ICT, early on this was very laid back approach, where I was not required other than clarity on a few questions regarding the specification.  Looking in to my world now - well, let's just say what defines a teacher, lets start with:


  • TEACH
  • SET WORK
  • PREPARE FOR EXAMS
  • MARK
  • REVIEW
  • ORGANISE
  • INTERVIEW
  • EXAM ENTRY
  • SPEAK TO PARENTS
  • BEHAVIOUR
  • ASSESSMENT
  • PLAN + MEET


Let's think what I have done and compare:


  • INSTRUCT
  • SET WORK
  • PREPARE FOR EXAMS
  • MARK, REVIEW
  • ORGANISE
  • INTERVIEW, 
  • EXAM ENTRY
  • SPEAK TO PARENTS
  • BEHAVIOUR
  • PLAN + MEET.


You may notice a common theme, bar one - ASSESSMENT.  I don't have to do this (at current date) but I have and I am doing the rest. It is 11.39pm and I have just finished marking.  Today I've liaised with a parent, checked exam entries with our exam officer, provided feedback and instructed.

On the face of these words you would think i'm a teacher, i'm not, i'm a humble technician with aspirations and inspirations.  I'm trying to inspire students to work hard and prepare for their ICT work, without doubt there grades have improved (i've marked their work before and after I got involved).  My passion comes through in this field, the students have seen this, I am now spoken to around the school, I love the banter.

What have I learnt, children are damn lazy, they will push you to your limits, they do not care for deadlines, they don't recognise all authority and will try negotiating.  They want their hands to be held, but they can act independently, they need some stimulus and inspiration.

I'm tired, mainly because of the lack of support, the attitude towards one of the fundamental skills you could acquire - ICT.  How can you not take this subject seriously - their are millions of jobs in computing, money to be made whether you are a teenager or 50 year old.  There are brilliant tools to use and interesting ways to teach.  I hope we learn from this experience and can move forward, god knows with my computer club i'm trying.  My skill is still basic and limited, but I aspire to be the best, to help these students coming through, provide them with understanding and opportunity and like the rest of my life I WILL DO IT ALL MYSELF.

I've always expected no-one to help, i assume the worst and get on, the can do people keep this world going, we are scarred with stigmata, our mission is to plod on and forget the repercussions of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment