Friday 3 January 2014

2013 - a reflection

It's been sometime since my last post, once again the duties of fatherhood have prevailed over my ramblings.

I just wanted to look back over the year from a personal view and that of the world around me too.  It's been a very quick year, pain; hard work; suffering; holidays; happiness and friendship.  Probably no different from anyone really?

I am so thankful I fully engrossed myself in to my job, helps me stay current with the web and the world, keeping up to date is so relevant in our industry.  Knowing what hardware is around and what software works well is useful when looking at purchasing for the school's needs.

Furthermore, being interested and committed has given me the confidence to set up and run a computer club, we may have not done much as yet, but I started off with a few simple lectures and demonstrations.  This is starting to evolve in to curriculum changes for the school (hopefully), so computer science and computational thinking will be more prevalent in student learning, yay.

In the world around us we lost a hell of a man, iconic figure who will be mused over for many decades to come (Mandela).  Like any year we lost lots of other figureheads too, people like Thatcher will not be forgotten either, whether admired, unloved or hated.

As far as I.T. i really stepped up my interest in all things raspberry pi/arduino related and try to incorporate some ideas for my computer club, but also practical uses within the school.  Late last year, I had my first taste of media queries with responsive design and re-kindled my (summer) training with the Python language.

I watch in awe of change technology brings, I sit patiently waiting for the chance to try and learn, but I also bide my time for others to work through errors associated with early generations.  The more I learn, the more I realise the less I know, this statement is so true.  Being a beginner is crap, there is so much out there to take in, only through trying do you truly learn.  Whether technology like the "Internet of things" really takes over, or Artificial Intelligence suddenly advances is another thing, but the change is coming.  One day you will be hard pushed not to come across technology in your everyday life.  See you later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment